Translate

Saturday, December 22, 2012

ROTI JALA BERINTI DAGING

I have never made these myself before this..all because I normally have my  late mum to make them for me. I really miss her so much..Al- Fatihah..
What I remember of this kuih is ..very nice to eat and a bit of extra effort to make them..and another most prominent  memory of this kuih is, it i part of the "bertandang" menu at weddings - our family side. 
Coincidentally, I saw Che Ct post on FB about Roti Jala berinti kentang and telor...uwaaa so cannot "tahan" hehehe 
 Usually done by my grand aunties, very patient dearies, who will seat "bersempuh" by the fire and do the "roti jala" and fill it with the fillings. Finally shallow fry it till crispy and nice. Mine is rather big and full bodied..just like the maker hihihi.. U can try and make them. U can use your own recipe for the roti jala and the filling but I just add below what I did this afternoon..

Roti Jala:
500 gm of AP Flour
100 gm Coconut milk ( add more if u like)
2 eggs
Salt to taste
500 ml Water ( add more if the consistency is too thick, I think I added about 750 ml, just add bit by bit after adding the first 500 ml ) 
Yellow coloring (if u like)

Method:
Just mix all in a bowl to the consistency that it can go through the funnel . I pass the batter through the sift so that it will be smooth and easy to pass the funnel when making the roti jala. 
I had my funnel made from aluminium. A present from my late mum. A single hole funnel. Then u just make the roti jala till finish. I got about 1.3 kg of roti jala from the above recipe.

Filling:
300 gm of mince meat - beef /chicken /mutton
2-3 potatoes, diced
1 onion, diced
2 tbsp of curry powder
salt and pepper to taste
curry leaves
cinnamon, cardamom, star anise and clove
2 tbsp cooking oil
Hard boiled egg (optional)

Heat the oil in the frying pan. Add the spice, curry leaves and onions.
Add the mince meat and stir till it turns brown. Add the curry powder,diced potato and a little water.
Season with salt and pepper.Simmer for 10-15 minutes till potato is cooked. 
Cool before use.


Assemble::
Take a piece of the roti jala and put a spoonful of filling onto it and also add the hard boiled egg if u want to. Fold one side cover the filling and take in the right and left and roll it. Once all are rolled, heat a shallow pan with a little oil and fry the filled roti jala. Turn it once it has browned on one side and fry till all sides are browned and crispy.
Bona petite..!!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails