The recipe compliment of Rima is as follows:
250 gm of pitted dates, chopped
1 tsp Bicarb soda
1 1/2 cup boiling water
125 gm butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 Self Raising Flour, sifted ( used AP flour + 1 tsp baking powder)
90 gm brown sugar
120 ml thickened cream
80 gm butter
1. Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and line the base of a 7 cm deep and 22 cm ( 9 inch) cake pan.
2. Place dates and baking soda into a bowl. Pour over boiling water. Allow to stand for 20 minutes ( Boil water and dates and once it starts to boil. Turn off heat and add baking soda. Let it stand for 20 minutes or till lukewarm to touch.
3. Using a mixer, beat sugar, butter and vanilla essence until pale and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. using a metal spoon, fold through date mixture and flour until well combined.
4. Spoon mixture into a prepared cake pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. Turn onto a plate.
5. To make the sauce, combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until sauce comes to the boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 2 minutes.
6. Pierce pudding all over with a skeer. Pour 1/2 cup of warm sauce over arm pudding. Stand for 10 minutes. Cut into wedges, serve with remaining sauce..